Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Garden After the Storm



The storm created a beautiful sunset last night.  Then it remained cloudy as it continued to sprinkle here and there.  In the morning, we woke up to an overcast sky.  It got down to 65 degrees during the night and the morning was cool and crisp.  I didn't have to water the garden yesterday, so I went down to see how it was doing this morning. 



I found busy bees visiting a new zinnia blossom.





The cabbages seem to have grown over night!  I love the textures of the cabbage leaves and how they make water droplets look.



This is the first blossom of the cosmos!



I absolutely love zinnias!



Yep, love 'em.  Notice the bees in three of the six pictured.  With flowers in the garden, you don't have to worry about pollination!



These are the black eyed peas.  I read they don't need a trellis or support.  I'm suspicious of that advice now!



Yes, another zinnia shot, I can't help myself!





If you want to grow bell peppers, I have four words for you, fish emulsion, and, magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts).  They will thank you by growing strong and bearing beautiful peppers.  Last year my peppers did very poorly, never growing or producing peppers.  Probably because I didn't know about this trick until I read up on their needs.  Try it, you'll be rewarded for the extra effort!



Beautiful veins on the beet leaves.



An assassin bug in strike position.



And then walks away!  I guess he didn't like his picture taken.



Look at all those happy bees!



This picture makes me want to paint!  Amazing design and symmetry.  Not to mention color and motion!


Now for the third installment of the mystery plant.....



This was taken the next day.  Surprising how it grows so fast isn't it?  By now the light is beginning to dimly dawn...  I admit at first I was entertaining the hopes that it would be a watermelon, but not exactly convinced of that.  Any more guesses?  Want to revise any earlier ones?
Have fun because the next installment is probably a dead giveaway!


1 comment:

  1. Absolutely adore the last shot of the sunflower! I love sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete