Saturday, August 4, 2012

Through the Garden Gate

I've been thinking how interesting it would be to keep a running log of the seasons through photos.  Then I noticed Murrieta 365 doing a First of the Month link up.  Just the excuse I needed!

So here it is, my first entry out of 12.  A view of the garden through the garden gate 'window.'


And since it's still the growing season, it's worth going in to take a tour...



Why do tomatoes take forever to ripen?  That red one is my first!  It's an Early Girl.  The plant on the right is a volunteer and something like a 'Beef Steak.'

Basil in the foreground, Pineapple Sage on the right, heirloom squash in the middle (with more Basil), two New England Sugar Pie pumpkins (far left), and Black Eye Peas.

I have two non-hybrid squash plants called Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop which are heavy producers.

One heirloom variety of a round zucchini called Ronde de Nice (quite prolific too).
 
The New England Sugar Pie.
 We've counted about 20 pumpkins between the two plants!
Wow.
And, these are also non-hybrids.


Black Eye Peas.
Very easy to grow, just plant, water, and harvest, harvest, and harvest some more.
Highly nutritious, no extra feeding necessary, and known to be a staple during the Depression Era.
It's worth looking into what the Native Americans grew in your area because those are likely to get you through.
That's why squash, beans, and corn (if I had more room) do so well in my garden.  Those were the crops of choice here.

I grew three times more onions than last year.
I can't live without garlic and onions!

And speaking of garlic, I planted cabbage between the rows (can you see the little cabbage plants?).  Once the garlic was harvested, the cabbage had room to expand...

I had about eight cabbages.  Any left over cabbage gets chopped up and turned back into the soil.  That way, the next garlic crop has a nice soil to grow in which has been almost 'disinfected' by the cabbage.  That's what I read on an authority's garlic website.  We'll see how it works out come June!  Can't wait!

I've harvested beets and potatoes too!
 This batch went to my neighbor.


My favorite kind of Hummer!...Not an over priced vehicle, but the kind that visits my garden!
They are very territorial and they fight over whose garden it is!
They even come up to the windows because they see their reflection in it, thinking there's another hummer in their garden!

Lots of ladybugs to play with.

The tadpoles seem to be happy.  I'll throw in a grasshopper from time to time.

Even though I'm 3 days late posting the first of the month photo, I'm seeing changes in the garden.  It's starting to look overgrown and a little more brown than usual.
That means Autumn is almost here!

My thanks goes out to Jan of the blog Murrieta 365 for hosting this linky party!  Thanks for the inspiration!

And,

Linking up with White Wolf Summit Farmgirl,who is hosting The Country Garden Showcase!
Lots of inspiration here too, check it out!

11 comments:

  1. Jeez, that's lovely. What a beautiful bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your visits! And I love your soaps by the way!

      Delete
  2. Oh my! Your garden looks fantastic! Do you can and preserve your bounty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life-speed just doesn't yet accommodate the plunge into teaching myself to can. But I WILL, one day. Until then, I'll freeze and dry what I'm able!

      Delete
  3. This is really very pretty. I love the tadpoles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toad garden was a brainstorm early in the season. It's working out great!

      Delete
  4. Your garden is looking GREAT!! I love growing the scalloped squash and the Ronde de Nice, have you tried stuffing and baking the round ones yet? I'll bet the boys are really enjoying "growing" tadpoles! :)
    I've never tried black eyed peas and they are one of my favorites, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you when I harvest the round zucchini! I love them, and yes they're wonderful stuffed!!! Love the black eyed peas with onions and BACON! And did I mention onions? ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow..what a fantastic garden you have there! Harvesting time must be very fun and pleasant..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my sweet goodness!
    Your garden is gorgeous! You have quite the variety being grown here. It all looks so wonderful.
    I'm sure your hands are full with all that is harvested.

    Now, did I miss the story on the tadpoles? I'm off to read up! Pat

    ReplyDelete