Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm No Seamstress

Nope, I'm not.  My favorite tools include staples, glue, and tape!  But those are better suited to paper.  I found, via my sister's Pintrest, a very interesting item.  Un-paper towels!  This lady is a very talented seamstress indeed!  Every once in a while, something spurs me to sew.  I couldn't afford such a great product, so... I decided to try making my own as a Summer project!

Well for reasons such as stitch selection limitations (I only have a choice between a straight stitch and zig-zag stitches on my machine) and my limited skills, I decided to stitch them 'wrong' side together.

I snipped off the corners to reduce bulky corners.

Then, I turned them 'right' side out, ironed them flat taking care to make the opening flush with the stitched seam.  Once that was done, I zigzag stitched down the length of both sides, closing off the opening where I turned them inside out.  These two sides are the sides without the snap fasteners.

So, what do you think?!  A little machine quilting in order here?
Yeah, I think that's a good idea...

That's better!

Next came the fasteners.

I gave up buying paper towels years ago.  Too expensive and so wasteful.  I've been using washcloths instead.  After being inspired to add a touch of whimsy to the utility of cloths in the kitchen, I am delighted to have these now!

Throw them in the washing machine, snap back together, and use again!  YES!

If you don't have the time or inclination to make these yourself, I recommend checking out this lady's Etsy store.  She's got more than just these towels!  And she's good at what she does!  Go ahead, go be inspired!

Linking to White Wolf Summit Farmgirl's The Country Homemaker Blog Hop


6 comments:

  1. OMG, what a cute, cute idea!! Love the fabric you used and I'm coveting your paper towel holder! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were 'killer' cute too and that is what has started this little sewing spree of mine. Then to make it easier to try, I found this adorable fabric at Wally World!

      Delete
  2. I.HAVE.SEEN.THESE!!! I am glad to see you made them. I should make some. I've wanted them for a while. I don't buy paper towels or napkins...these would be perfect in my kitchen.
    Do you like using them?
    I love the fun colors you used to make yours. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. We use a lot of paper towels. This will save so much money. Really enjoying reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will certainly pay themselves back! Thanks for stopping by, LOVE having new readers and their comments!

      Delete