Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Biscotti!

I love biscotti!  I don't love their high prices at the store!  The alternative?  Make them myself!

 
Of course they are far better than store-bought because they're fresh, I made them, and I know what's in them.


I had a very full box of citrus that made it's way up from Phoenix.  We've nearly polished off the oranges and many of the grapefruits.  But what to do with the lemons?  Hmmmm.  Can you guess how long it took me to realize I can make Lemon Poppy Seed Biscotti?  Not long!  It was a bonanza!



Biscotti are actually rather easy to make, and far easier to eat!  See?  This one's coming to breakfast!

Here's the very low-fat, tasty recipe if you want to give it a try!

Combine these ingredients and set aside:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Combine these ingredients together:
1 TBSP lemon zest
3 TBSP poppy seeds
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (maybe more)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly spray large cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine the dry mixture with the wet ingredients very well.  If it isn't holding together well add more lemon juice until it does.  Form into two logs and place them on the cookie sheet.  Be sure they aren't too close to each other.

Bake for 30 minutes.  Allow to cool just enough to handle.  Then cut diagonally into 1/2" slices.  Bake slices until deep golden, turning once, about 8 minutes on each side.  Keep an eye on them, your oven may bake hotter than mine...

Get your favorite tea or coffee ready and enjoy!

I love these simple, inexpensive delights!

No comments:

Post a Comment