Sunday, January 16, 2011

Not for the Squeamish!

Before I begin relating this story, I must warn you, this might contain some disturbing photos.  So if you're not feeling well or can't handle graphic, painful situations, just don't scroll down!!!  Please.

When you homestead with animals, you have to accept that once in a while you will have to deal with occasional gross moments.

Firstly, we were only in the new house for about two weeks.  Secondly, we were also given two milking goats at the same time we were making the move.  So, just as humans and animals alike were all settling in to new environments, something bad happened.

We had a Queensland Healer mix pup who was just about an adolescent.  Not the sharpest tool in the shed.  As a new-born pup, he was around all the animals from the beginning.  But since the move, we were loosing cats and didn't know to what.  We figured the older cats didn't like their new environment and struck out on their own.  Then my favorite cat disappeared.  Then only a couple of days later, the mystery soon unraveled.

My oldest went outside to take clothes off the line before we started school, on Friday, November 26th.  My hubby had just left out fifteen minutes ago to go to work.  My oldest comes back in right away and tells me something is going on down at the barn.  A goat is making a lot of noise.  So, I step out on the front porch to have a listen.  I couldn't see her, but I heard her crying out.

I ran down the hill and found our dog hamstringing one of our new goats!  He ran off knowing full well he was in deep doo-doo.  I took a closer look at the goat and realized it was time for a trip to the vet.

Thankfully I was able to hook up to the horse trailer our neighbors left with us to help us move, and I took her in to town.

Too much flesh had been ripped out of the back of her leg to sew anything together.  The vet did say that her artery was exposed and could have bled-out if it was damaged.  He managed to put two stitches in to cover the artery, and gave her a shot of penicillin.  He sent her home with a two week regimen of antibiotic and a bottle of hyper-oxygenated water spray which kills all the nasties (such as staph, salmonella, e-coli, you name it). 

He said in four weeks it should be filled-in and nearly healed completely.  Here's the succession of her healing...and remember, not for the squeamish....





This photo is to ease you into the idea of the damage...




This next photo isn't even from the first couple of days, it was taken about 11 days after the attack.  I was too busy nursing her wound to think about taking a picture of it while it was real fresh...




As you can see, it is unmistakeably a dog bite.  The vet said dogs will hamstring their prey to get them down.  Here, the wound is already drying over and the process of filling itself in has slowly begun.


Isn't this remarkable?  We are in awe over the capacity a body has for healing itself!!!  Forty nine days later this is how far it has gotten!  I still spray it after cleaning off what I dare to.


This sweet goat (her name is Tigger) nuzzled into my side as I held her for the vet.  It's as if she knew we were helping her!


Here is the miracle solution.  It was key to the healing process.  I found it being sold at the feed store and I had to buy some.  I knew we were going to run out of the bottle the vet gave us.  I'll continue using it until she's thoroughly healed.

This goat along with another one will soon be providing us with fresh milk if all continues to go well.  The point of having animals like this is for good, clean, healthy living.  The same reason for growing your own fruits and veggies.  Since every animal has a purpose, and is not exactly a pet, each has a role to play.  Dogs are not exempt, they in fact ought to be protectors.  Like I said, he wasn't the sharpest.  So the cold hard reality is that we put him down.  The barnyard has found peace and tranquility once again.  I am delighted this sweet goat survived and that my son was able to alert me before she was killed.

Ah, I love happy endings!


2 comments:

  1. Not a pleasant experience at all. Real life on a farm. It is so amazing how a wound like that can heal so well. Your care and attention paid off. It is a shame about the cats. Wonder what makes a dog change like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your family experienced a happy ending with your goat. Long ago when our children were young we kept a milk goat, selling her offspring. Our young daughters loved her as she was a pet as well as provider.

    ReplyDelete