Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Early Summer Garden








The summer sun has finally warmed us up.  When the wind dies down a little, the heat begins to rise.  My garden is enjoying the opportunity to grow stronger and is beginning to fill out.  Hope is in the air as the garden begins to show promise.

This is the garlic I bought from the store.  I broke up the bulbs into cloves and planted each clove.  I want to see what kind of garlic we get from both large and small cloves. 

These are the Black Eyed Peas along with Zinnias and Cosmos.  I hope to see how flowers in the garden help protect crops.  Cosmos is supposed to attract Lady Bugs and Green Lacewings which eat Mealy Bugs.  Zinnias are pleasing to my senses and they attract many pollinators and other beneficial insects, like Butterflies!

Petunias are flamboyant coming in many colors.  Last year I had an infestation of Beetles that were very similar looking to Stink Bugs.  They loved the tomatoes and ate up all their leaves and even the fruit.  I brought Petunias into the garden this year because they are said to repel Beetles.  Nastursiums are supposed to do the same thing along with several other flowers and herbs.


My favorite spot in the garden right now is the Lavender.  It has been beginning to bloom slowly and only now has been exploding into color.  The bees have been working it thoroughly making it the noisiest part of the garden!  I am so thankful that the Lavender has survived our winter here.  It is quite rewarding to watch it bloom so happily.  Here are some of my favorite photos of the Lavender:

Like fireworks!

Glorying in the sun!

Flowers are not simply good for the garden but also good for the soul!

"The Earth Laughs in Flowers"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

*

1 comment: