Friday, August 5, 2011

I must confess that with a big garden, growing harvests, the nearly up and coming home school year (and ALL that comes and goes with it), keeping the household running, keeping myself together, working weekends running equipment, and various soap operas, I'm feeling in no condition to blog for a while!

I'm tired!

I don't know how so many people do it all!

I need a real break!

Now look at this and tell me I'm not evil for wanting Summer to end!...

...go ahead!  I double dog dare you!

We all had a blast harvesting, hauling, shucking, cooking and eating the corn!
What a treat it was!  It's as if I'd passed out candy!

"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."  ~Hans Christian Anderson

So fuzzy, I just want to pet it!

Bean pickers...

...and the Bean harvest.
We got eight 1 quart bags just from this basket alone.  That is, after eating some for dinner!

Just this morning's harvest of squash, more beans (under squash), a couple tomatoes (oh how they take their good time ripening!), and a couple handfuls of Serrano Peppers.

Cucumbers for a salad tonight!


Since I am just short of completely exhausted, and in need of recharging my batteries, so to speak, I need a vacation.  However, since we haven't the funds for such a luxury, I've been bringing the vacation to myself, in the form of a book or two! 

 Last week I read "The Scarlet Pimpernel," which is set in the time of France's horrible and bloody revolution, where Madame Guillotine ruled.  I love adventures, some mystery, heroic heroes, and a dash of romance.  This was a great choice as it fit the bill nicely.  Plenty of escapism.  Pun intended!


Now I'm reading "Cyrano de Bergerac."  This one's got wit, action, a dash of tragedy, lots of comedy, and of course, a little romantic intrigue.  Our hero, Cyrano, who is endowed with a majestic nose and an even more majestic wit, is the swashbuckler who more than makes up for his nose through his character.

To pass a laugh on to you, I share this small excerpt...

In the first act, Valvert is unable to stop fixating on the fact that Cyrano hasn't even any gloves about him for this verbal duel.  Finally, Cyrano responds, cutting Valvert off once again,
"I am without gloves? ... a mighty matter!  I only had one left, of a very ancient pair, and even that became a burden to me... I left it in somebody's face."

That seems to fit my mood nicely right now!

So after sharing this with you today, I feel somewhat revived!
Thank you for sharing in the medicine of smiles...
...and maybe a laugh!

It won't be Summer for too much longer...

So curl up with a good book, and a glass of sweet tea or lemonade!

Linking up with the Farmgirl Friday blog hop!  Hop on over there!

9 comments:

  1. This time of year is pretty exhausting for us Farmgirls! Enjoy your reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farming is hard work but looks like you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is growing so well, and looks lovely. I understand the need for a break, I have been very slow in my own posting this summer, seems like there just isn't enough hours in my day. I try to remind myself that in the cold winter months I'll be reminiscing, with fondness, about the days spent in the garden and canning the bounty. I will remember all the wonderful growing vegetables, but will forget all the sweat that ran from my brow. I guess that's what makes us a gardener at heart, we keep doing this year after year. Take a break and take care of yourself, enjoy those books. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a spring fed valley with some water underground or we would never survive the heat and drought we have been having.

    Your garden puts our to shame...thanks for stopping by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Well, it's really YOUR GOODNESS isn't it? Been doing something nice for ourselves at the beach... new farmgirl friday is up and my latest beach blog is about homeschooling...visit when you can put your book down for a minute...?
    I just finished Little Bee... hard reading at times, but very good read!
    xo
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love The Scarlet Pimpernel! Such a great adventure. It looks like your garden has been very productive. My sweet corn was great, but the rest of the gardens have not done so well. With the excessive heat and just a difficult summer, I'm surprisingly ready for fall.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could browse in your garden quite happily! It all looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Corn coming out of the kids' ears!! LOL! Love your blog, love your garden, and hope that with a break and a book, your energy will return. Here in Central Texas the drought and the heat have done me in and my spectacularly dismal garden. I have decided to put it out of its misery and stopped watering it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pics--what beautiful bounty! And corn on the cob---mmmm, I broke my diet to have some with fresh butter, I have to admit! ;) I read Scarlet Pimpernel in July too!!! This month I'm reading Catch 22--I had never read it and. . .it's. . .strange. . . :D

    I hear you on being tired. I think it's from being out of routine, yet trying to get lots of done. I almost welcome homeschool starting back up just because we get into a better routine that way.

    http://homestead-for-sale.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete